Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day






I hope everyone enjoyed themselves, we had a nice day. Jim was able to get home last night and does not have to go back until Tuesday, so super. Nice relaxing day today. He spoiled me with some of my favorite things, Jelly Bellys and mushy cards.
I also received an unexpected birthday present, my friend Ellen made me a beautiful arrangement. I seldom tell anyone about my birthdays, but she read about mine in an email and brought me over the flowers. The roses are so beautiful and unusual, they have green on the outer petals. She is going to find out for me what their name is, I am going to see if I can buy a plant.

In the last post I mentioned about my weather station, it is by Black and Decker. I like that a light comes on automatically when the power goes off, that the flash light is rechargeable and it has a socket to plug in your cell phone to recharge it. You can also tune in regular radio stations, TV stations and the weather channels. I have not had to use it yet, but when it is tornado season I expect it to come in very handy. I have a variety of candles and I learned that if you prop a mirror behind them the light is even brighter. Oh, one thing I wanted to pass on to you all was a piece I saw on the news the other morning. It showed what to do in case you fall through the ice, which up here is a real possibility. They said to act like a seal, the seal bobs several times as it is trying to slide up onto the ice. So if you can you bob and try and pop yourself up onto the ice and then hopefully slide the rest of the way. It was on Good Morning America so maybe they will show it on their web site, it might be explained a little better. I figure you never know when some tidbit of information like that will come in handy.

Enjoy your weekend and all the best to you, Barbara

14 comments:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Happy Valentines Day Barb! There's nothing like a nice mushy card to make the day perfect!!

Hugs, Sherry

Mary said...

Barbara,

I'm glad you had a nice Valentine's Day. We don't really do anything, but did have a nice dinner together. Saturday is hubby's day off, so it worked out perfectly.

Thanks for the information on the weather station. It sounds like a handy gadget to have. I'm going to take a look for it here.

Take care and enjoy Sunday.
Blessings,
Mary

2 LMZ FARMS said...

Happy Valentines Day to you, my precious friend. sounds like you had a good one. And Happy Belated Birthday! You are a gem and I'm so blessed to have you as a friend. I'm doing better, wish I could say I'm healed but it's going to take time. Thank you for your encouraging words and prayers.

Joanne said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you! We had a quiet day, chocolate and yes, those mushy cards and such! I like your tips here, never thought to use a mirror to magnify the candlelight. Now that's something good to know in any climate if one loses power. Have a nice week!

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Barbara!

I am sorry I am so late here, but glad to read you had a nice Valentine's Dayand your Jim was able to be home with you.

Well, I now have a new weather radio/station. It's an Eton, goes by battery or power, has the crank on it, and even the cell phone charger. It comes on automatically and warns you if there is severe weather. My son Greg bought one for me. I also have all kinds of led lights now. Flashlight, lanterns, etc., plus a generator!

There is still so much stuff to do around here, so many trees down to clean up. At the cabin on the river as well. I think it will take us months to get everything done. But I was lucky that I didn't get hurt in the ice storm, and for that I am thankful.

Thank you so much for your visit and comment, dear Barbara. Have a wonderful week!

Hugs and blessings,

Renie

PS. I like your new profile picture! :-)

Hootin Anni said...

I so love roses!!!! They're my favorite. I've seen one quite similar, but they have 'grey/silver' edges. That one is called Sterling Silver and it's one pretty rose!!!

Karen said...

The roses are gorgeous. Happy (belated) birthday! Your Valentine's Day sounds perfect -- sweets and mushy cards. I love them both.

We went to a movie (He's Just Not That Into You) and we both enjoyed it. And feel very grateful we're not dating anymore, but have moved on to the 'very comfortable with one another' stage.

Tina Leavy said...

brrr..I hope I never have to think about ice like that..not a ood thought.
hope you are having a good week. has been ages since I've stopped by. hope you and yours are all doing well. the rose arrangement looks gorgeous.

violetlady said...

Belated Happy Valentine' Day and also Happy Birthday!! Those roses are beautiful. I think I have seen that variety before - very delicate.

Nancy Jo said...

Hi Barb,
You really got some nice gifts! How nice that Jim could be home for a few days, that must have been really nice.
I see that we are in survival mode. Lots of good info. That light thing sounds pretty interesting, and if I fall through the ice I WILL BOB.
Nancy Jo

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Barb!
Oh your comment was sooo nice!! I really appreciate what you said about me. Your post on the subject of Are You A CAN or A CAN"T was fabulous!! I have had many people in my life that were like your friend. I tell them they are making a choice of being positive or negative about life. It's all in how you look at things. Things are very challenged in my life right now but I know things will be just fine, it takes time. And we can't wait for God to come down with a bullhorn and speak directions!! We have to be prayerful and wise about what comes along. Life is a choice, you can either live it to the best of your ability or let it consume you into total negativity!!
Thank you sweet Barb, you made my day! And I add that you are also a positive person! I really enjoy coming to visit you Barb!
Big hugs, Sherry

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Barb!

I have to apologize to you! When I redid my favorite blogs I left you off! But I'm fixing that right now!! Please forgive me!! I LOVE your blog and consider you a sweet friend.

big hugs, Sherry

Nancy said...

That is a great tip there about bobbing like a seal! Who would have thought of something like that! Just a great tip....we never know when we may be in a predicament like falling through ice.

I just love that B&D weather station! I am going to try and find one around here. It would come in handy. Just nice to have on hand should the occasion arise for it!

You are quite the gal....the mirror and candle trick! That really makes good sense!!!

Happy belated Valentine's Day to you! Living alone, I don't think much about that day anymore. My daughter surprised my ex and me with dinner she brought to my home for us on Valentine's Day!

Spring is coming...I saw my first robin today!!!

((( HUGS )))

Edie Marie's Attic said...

HI BARB!

TOMORROW (SAT) PLEASE CHECK MY POST! YOU WILL BE RECEIVING AN AWARD FROM ME!!

BIG HUGS, SHERRY